Formula 1 says team or driver Covid-19 pullouts won’t stop races

Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey has gone on record stating team personal being infected by COVID-19 will not cancel races. With the 2020 F1 season...
[rev_slider alias="header-banner-1"][/rev_slider]

Latest Posts

Triumph: ready for 2020 relaunch in Jerez

The Moto2™ World Championship and Triumph Triple Trophy will soon get back underway at the Spanish Grand Prix. After a terrific season opener in Qatar,...

Formula 1: Driver shocked by Ferrari engine power loss.

Carlos Sainz says he is not yet worrying about his move to Ferrari for 2021. The Spaniard will replace Sebastian Vettel, but he will presumably...

F1: Alonso signing with Renault F1 not just marketing, says Alain Prost.

Renault advisor Alain Prost says a question mark about Sebastian Vettel's motivation may have thwarted his chances of joining the French team. The Enstone based...

Mick Schumacher hoping for Friday outings in 2020.

Mick Schumacher is hoping to be able to drive a Formula 1 car again in 2020. Last year, the son of F1 legend Michael Schumacher...

Porsche to terminate its factory supported GTLM program in IMSA at end of 2020 season.

Porsche will cease its factory involvement in the GT Le Mans class of the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship at the end of the 2020 season due to financial crisis surrounding the coronavirus pandemic. Announced on Thursday, the absence of the German manufacturer’s GTLM effort beginning in 2021 will make a “significant contribution” to overcoming the economic effects that the COVID-19 virus has had on the company, according to a statement.

It will leave potentially only two manufacturers in the class next year, should BMW elect to continue with its M8 GTE program alongside the factory Chevrolet Corvette C8.Rs. Porsche’s withdrawal from GTLM will not impact any of its customer programs in North America, including teams in the GT Daytona class, IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge and the single-make Porsche GT3 Cup Challenge USA and Canada series.

“The decision to halt our factory involvement in the IMSA series was not an easy one for us,” said head of Porsche Motorsport Fritz Enzinger. “With a view to the current corporate situation in connection with the coronavirus pandemic, it is only logical for Porsche Motorsport to make a contribution to coping with the economic fallout. “We’ve openly discussed our exit with all involved.

“At this point, we’d like to convey our sincere thanks to Jim France and the colleagues at IMSA for their understanding. Porsche belongs in endurance racing. We will work hard to ensure that this is only a temporary Auf Wiedersehen.” Launched in 2014, the CORE autosport-run factory operation claimed victory on its debut in the Rolex 24 at Daytona and has gone on to win multiple races and GTLM titles, the most recent coming last year following a dominant season.

The team and manufacturer currently sit second in the 2020 championship, which is set to restart at Daytona next month. “For us sportspeople, such endings are always painful,” said Porsche Motorsport factory director Pascal Zurlinden. “For our operational team CORE autosport and everyone involved, I’m very sorry that we were unable to make this decision with more lead time.

“At the same time, I’d like to thank everyone affected by this for their professional handling of this situation.” While not confirmed, Porsche’s decision to pull the plug on its GTLM program could help pave the way for a LMDh effort, which it has been evaluating. It is understood that parallel factory LMDh and GTLM/GTE programs would not have been feasible, even before the pandemic.

LMDh is slated to launch in 2022, although IMSA President John Doonan admitted it could be pushed back by a year.

Frank van Nunen

Latest Posts

Triumph: ready for 2020 relaunch in Jerez

The Moto2™ World Championship and Triumph Triple Trophy will soon get back underway at the Spanish Grand Prix. After a terrific season opener in Qatar,...

Formula 1: Driver shocked by Ferrari engine power loss.

Carlos Sainz says he is not yet worrying about his move to Ferrari for 2021. The Spaniard will replace Sebastian Vettel, but he will presumably...

F1: Alonso signing with Renault F1 not just marketing, says Alain Prost.

Renault advisor Alain Prost says a question mark about Sebastian Vettel's motivation may have thwarted his chances of joining the French team. The Enstone based...

Mick Schumacher hoping for Friday outings in 2020.

Mick Schumacher is hoping to be able to drive a Formula 1 car again in 2020. Last year, the son of F1 legend Michael Schumacher...

Don't Miss

Formula 1: Mugello to be confirmed as post-Monza 2020 race.

Mugello looks set to host a second grand prix in Italy this year, one week after Monza. Imola, yet another Italian circuit, is also in...

OFFICIAL: British Rally Championship Cancelled.

The British Rally Championship has announced that the 2020 season will not take place. This follows the cancellation of the Wales Rally GB, which...

Pirelli confident 2019 F1 tyres can last two more years.

Pirelli Formula 1 boss Mario Isola is confident that the company’s current tyre specification can be used without problems until the end of 2021...

ELMS: 2020 European Le Mans Series provisional revised calendar

The 2020 ELMS season should start in Le Castellet with 5 races to decide who will be the next European Le Mans Series Champions. Following...

Everyone in F1 affected amid corona crisis says Jean Todt.

More than two teams are hurting amid the corona crisis, according to FIA president Jean Todt. In fact, the Frenchman is quoted by La Presse...
Frank van Nunen