Formula 1 says team or driver Covid-19 pullouts won’t stop races

Formula 1 CEO Chase Carey has gone on record stating team personal being infected by COVID-19 will not cancel races. With the 2020 F1 season...
[rev_slider alias="header-banner-1"][/rev_slider]

Latest Posts

Triumph: ready for 2020 relaunch in Jerez

The Moto2™ World Championship and Triumph Triple Trophy will soon get back underway at the Spanish Grand Prix. After a terrific season opener in Qatar,...

Formula 1: Driver shocked by Ferrari engine power loss.

Carlos Sainz says he is not yet worrying about his move to Ferrari for 2021. The Spaniard will replace Sebastian Vettel, but he will presumably...

F1: Alonso signing with Renault F1 not just marketing, says Alain Prost.

Renault advisor Alain Prost says a question mark about Sebastian Vettel's motivation may have thwarted his chances of joining the French team. The Enstone based...

Mick Schumacher hoping for Friday outings in 2020.

Mick Schumacher is hoping to be able to drive a Formula 1 car again in 2020. Last year, the son of F1 legend Michael Schumacher...

Ferrari prepared to Veto 2021 rule changes, but prefers not to.

Ferrari team boss Mattia Binotto says it would be a “shame” to have to use its right to veto changes to the championship’s rules in the 2021 discussions.

The leading teams in Formula 1; Ferrari, Mercedes, and Red Bull have expressed their concerns with the proposed restraints over aerodynamic freedom in the new technical rules planned as part of the 2021 overhaul of Formula 1.

Disagreements over the compromises have led to a delay until the end of October to finalize the rules, which were supposed to be published earlier this year. Ferrari’s agreement with F1 includes the right to veto (block) a change it decides is not in the championship’s best interests.

As Formula 1 closes in on its latest deadline for the 2021 rules, Mattia Binotto insisted Ferrari’s preference is to achieve a better compromise. “We have the veto right but it would be a shame to use it,” he said. “I don’t think that’s the intention, I don’t think that’s what we are looking for. “It is more important to be very constructive. We still have a month’s time to address the fundamentals by the end of October. “If the regulations will not be fully satisfactory by that time I don’t think it will be a drama because we still have time to address and improve them.”

The leading teams claim they are not trying to thwart F1’s attempt to close up the grid but instead argue that such a big rules change in one go will be counter-productive. They belief that keeping the rules the same will naturally lead to convergence in performance, whereas a big overhaul could lead to unintended consequences. However, the primary specific concern is over the so-called DNA of F1 and teams being responsible for designing and producing their own cars that are fundamentally different.

Ferrari and its fellow big teams – as well as some smaller outfits – do not agree that F1’s agreed budget cap should be followed by standard parts, which is currently part of the 2021 plan, because they disagree that teams should be told how much to spend and what to spend it on. “There are a few things that are important for us, first the degree of freedom on development, especially with the aerodynamic regulations, which we believe is too prescriptive,” said Binotto. “And the degree of freedom on other parts of the car where some prescription has been set. “I think these are the key points and I think there is still room for collaboration and making a different choice compared to what has been achieved so far. “Again, we’re more focused on trying to collaborate and address what we believe is fundamental rather than say “we’ve got the veto right’.”

  • Source: Scuderia Ferrari
  • Photocredit: Twitter
Frank van Nunen

Latest Posts

Triumph: ready for 2020 relaunch in Jerez

The Moto2™ World Championship and Triumph Triple Trophy will soon get back underway at the Spanish Grand Prix. After a terrific season opener in Qatar,...

Formula 1: Driver shocked by Ferrari engine power loss.

Carlos Sainz says he is not yet worrying about his move to Ferrari for 2021. The Spaniard will replace Sebastian Vettel, but he will presumably...

F1: Alonso signing with Renault F1 not just marketing, says Alain Prost.

Renault advisor Alain Prost says a question mark about Sebastian Vettel's motivation may have thwarted his chances of joining the French team. The Enstone based...

Mick Schumacher hoping for Friday outings in 2020.

Mick Schumacher is hoping to be able to drive a Formula 1 car again in 2020. Last year, the son of F1 legend Michael Schumacher...

Don't Miss

MotoGP vs F1: the perception of speed with Mark Webber.

Former F1 star Mark Webber is this week’s guest as the Aussie delves into his love for motorcycle racing and much more. The MotoGP...

Nico Rosberg: “Michael Schumacher Would Manipulate His Way Through”

Nico Rosberg Opens up on Fears of Pairing With Michael Schumacher. Nico Rosberg talks about his encounters with David Coulthard about what it resembles...

Formula 1: Mugello to be confirmed as post-Monza 2020 race.

Mugello looks set to host a second grand prix in Italy this year, one week after Monza. Imola, yet another Italian circuit, is also in...

OFFICIAL: British Rally Championship Cancelled.

The British Rally Championship has announced that the 2020 season will not take place. This follows the cancellation of the Wales Rally GB, which...

WEC: Risi Competizione will be racing at Le Mans in 2020.

Risi Competizione have confirmed their entry to the 88th 24 Hours of Le Mans through a driver announcement. The team had been included on the original entry...
Frank van Nunen