The internet was on fire over the last week, with several rumours suggesting Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff would be resigning. Furthermore, according to several reports, Wolff and Lawrence Stroll were teaming up to buy out Mercedes. The team’s parent company, Daimler, issued an official statement shutting down all rumours and confirming that Mercedes wasn’t pulling out of the sport.
Daimler responds to Mercedes rumours
For those unaware, several reports from Germany emerged, stating that Wolff would announce his resignation as team principal. Allegedly, Wolff would no longer operate in a leadership role but stick on with Mercedes in an advisory role. Moreover, some rumours suggested the Austrian would team up with Lawrence Stroll to purchase a majority stake in the team.
Well, Mercedes cleared the air once and for all with an official statement.
“Speculation regarding a potential withdrawal from Formula One continues to be unfounded and irresponsible,” “The sport has taken the right measures to address the consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic and its future financial sustainability, and we welcome these steps.
“It is our clear intention to continue competing in Formula One as a Mercedes-Benz works team in the years to come, and to do so with our managing partner Toto Wolff.” Wolff’s relationship with Mercedes and the team’s future in F1 has been in the news as of late. Allegedly, Wolff doesn’t necessarily get along with the higher ups in Stuttgart. There were many reports of an alleged rift between Toto and Daimler head Ola Kallenius.
Most recently, several reports suggested the Austrian was at odds with Daimler over the team’s 2021 driver line-up. Apparently, Wolff was in favour of signing George Russell or keeping Valtteri Bottas alongside Lewis Hamilton. However, Daimler was allegedly pushing for Sebastian Vettel.
To add fuel to the fire, Wolff said he was sticking on with Mercedes for the short term. Moreover, the Austrian invested in Aston Martin, which he clarified was a purely financial venture.
- Formula 1: Driver shocked by Ferrari engine power loss. - 12 July, 2020
- F1: Alonso signing with Renault F1 not just marketing, says Alain Prost. - 12 July, 2020
- Mick Schumacher hoping for Friday outings in 2020. - 11 July, 2020