Zolder 24 Hours podium finisher Alex Cascatău will be back behind the wheel of a Norma M20FC this weekend as he begins his preparation ahead of a season in the Supercar Challenge alongside team BSRacing.
Following a longer-than-usual off-season period caused by the global COVID-19 pandemic, Alex Cascatău will finally step in a race car one again on Sunday during Supercar Challenge’s pre-season test day. The Dutch championship will roar back into life with GT and touring cars, as well as the exciting CN and LMP3 prototypes all gathering together at Belgium’s former F1 Grand Prix host which is also the host of the first round of the championship in August.
This will be Cascatău’s first opportunity to get to grips with BSRacing’s Norma as well as his team-mate for the entire 2020 Supercar Challenge season, Luxembourg veteran Alain Berg. After racking up champion titles in Mitjet Germany and his native Luxembourg in Hillclimb racing, Berg moved up to the Supercar Challenge racing a Radical SR3 last year. For this season, he and his team decided to step up to the CN prototype class and Cascatău will partner the young team in its first foray into one of the Supercar Challenge’s most competitive classes.
While new to the team, Cascatău has gathered a wealth of experience driving around Circuit Zolder in a variety of cars including VGL Racing’s Saker RAPX and Van Der Horst Motorsport’s BMW 320i E90 which could pay dividends come Sunday’s test session. Having said that, this is still Alex’s first full season of prototype racing and, as always, doing it for real is harder than doing it in the simulator which Alex has been using intensively during the lockdown to keep himself sharp and ready for when the action finally resumes. It’s finally time to go back on track!
2020 Supercar Challenge Race calendar:
- 7-9 August | Circuit Zolder – Zolder SuperPrix
- 4-6 September | TT Circuit Assen – DTM
- 25-27 September | TT Circuit Assen – Gamma Racing Day
- 9-10 October | Circuit Zandvoort – Voorjaars Races
- 30 October – 1 November | TT Circuit Assen – Hankook Finale races
- Positive takeaways after maiden 2020 test. - 16 July, 2020
- Alex Cascatău to kick off 2020 season with first Zolder test this weekend. - 11 July, 2020
- What does it mean to participate in sim racing leagues? - 2 June, 2020